2017 4-H Calendars
Get your 2017 4-H Calendar here: http://igrow.org/4h/south-dakota-4h/4-h-youth-photo-exhibits-featured-in-2017-s.d.-4-h-calendar/!
4-Hers who enter photography exhibits at the South Dakota State Fair have the opportunity to be featured in the annual South Dakota 4-H Calendar. Photos featured are selected as Judge’s Choice and Honorable Mention winners during the judging process at the South Dakota State Fair.
This year, 2,221 photos were evaluated by judges at the State Fair. Photos that “wow” the judges are marked with a “WOW” on their exhibit tag, placed in a separate area, and are then re-evaluated for entry into the calendar. 25 “Judge’s Choice” and 25 “Honorable Mention” photos were chosen for inclusion in the 2017 calendar. The 2017 calendar includes images from 46 4-H youth, ages 8 to 18 from 27 different South Dakota counties.
The SD 4-H Leaders sponsored a free calendar for each of the 4-H youth who had a photo chosen for the calendar.
See the list of winners here: Photo Calendar Honorees
Mini-Grants - for 2016-2017 4-H Year
The SD 4-H Leaders provide Mini-Grants to use for projects by a county or District. The criteria for awarding funds is based on:
* Potential for youth involvement in the planning and implementation of the project.
* Potential impact on addressing youth issues at a local level through either a traditional or nontraditional setting.
* Potential for increasing life skill outcomes for youth.* Potential for reaching expanded youth audiences e.g. at-risk low income, single parent families, other cultures, disabled, etc.
* Potential for transitioning new youth audiences into more “traditional” or ongoing 4-H programs.
The application is due by December 31st.
Leader dues for 2016-17 are $3 per leader if paid by December 31, 2016 or $4 per leader if paid after December 31. Dues may be mailed to SD 4-H Leaders, c/o Paula Linke, Executive Secretary, 39833 233rd St, Woonsocket SD 57385. Please include this completed worksheet with your check, and also email the worksheet to her at email@example.com.
Next 4-H Leader Training January 17, 2017
BROOKINGS, S.D. - SDSU Extension and the State 4-H Office invite all 4-H Leaders, volunteers, parents of 4-H members and those interested in volunteering to attend the second of four 4-H Leader Trainings held January 17, 2017 from 7 to 9 p.m. (CST) at all eight SDSU Extension Regional Centers and in Brookings on the campus of South Dakota State University (Pugsley Hall 2nd floor).
During this meeting, the second to be held quarterly during the 2016-2017 4-H year, leaders and volunteers will have the opportunity to learn about the following:
The meetings will be led by SDSU Extension 4-H staff and experienced volunteers both remotely and in-person.
- Volunteer opportunities: learn about re-certification opportunities and promotional pieces that will help recruit more volunteers;
- Youth Development Training;
- Character All-Stars: During this session you will learn: how schools may participate; about the GROW YOUR SELFie, a six-lesson series and how you can bring the lessons back to your club and county;
- Networking and planning for future trainings.
"This will be an opportunity to start out the new 4-H year and keep up to date," explained Audrey Rider, SDSU Extension 4-H Volunteer Field Specialist. Rider explained that the trainings will focus on a variety of training topics and keep everyone informed throughout the 4-H year.
Save the Dates
Other upcoming training dates include: April 18, 2017 and one date in July which has yet to be determined when a State Fair preparation event will be held. To learn more, contact your local 4-H Youth Program Advisor. A complete listing can be found at the iGrow Our Experts page.
Locations are as follows:
- SDSU Campus, Pugsley Hall 2nd floor
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Aberdeen - 13 Second Ave. SE, Aberdeen, SD 57401;
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Lemmon - 408 Eighth St. W., Lemmon, SD 57638;
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Mitchell - 1800 E. Spruce St., Mitchell, SD 57301;
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Pierre - 412 W. Missouri Ave., Pierre, SD 57501;
- WRAC, 1905 Plaza Blvd., Rapid City, SD 57702;
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Sioux Falls - 2001 E. Eighth St., Sioux Falls, SD 57103;
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Watertown - 1910 W. Kemp Ave., Watertown, SD 57201 and
- SDSU Extension Regional Center, Winner - 325 S. Monroe St., P.O. Box 270, Winner, SD 57580.
- See more at: http://igrow.org/news/4-h-leader-training-october-18-2016/#sthash.rnrAA1jx.dpuf
SD State Information and Results
New T-Shirt Designs!!
We introduced 5 new t-shirt designs at the State Fair, and also added polos and jackets!! Our t-shirt logo design contest brought in many entries and we chose 4 winning logos. Our winning entries came from Tigh Lessman, Jessie Wik and Clara Fink. Congratulations!
SD 4-H Leaders
We also added polos and a new jacket!
Camp Assistance - for 2016
The SD 4-H Leaders will once again provide a financial assistance scholarship to 4-H members attending a 4-H camp, Performing Arts or TLC. The scholarship amount for 4-H Camp (Poinsett or Bob Marshall) is $25. The requirement for receiving the scholarship is that the camper needs to tell one group about camp. The application is due by December 31st.
The scholarship amount for Performing Arts or TLC Assistance is $50. The requirement for receiving the scholarship is that the 4-H'er needs to tell two groups about camp. The application is due by December 31st.
4-H Camp, TLC, Performing Arts Scholarship Application Form
Here is how the scholarship program works.
Step 1 – Register for the 2016 camp and pay the full camp fees.
Step 2 – Attend camp and have a great time!!
Step 3 – Tell a group about camp. For the $25 4-H Camp scholarship, tell one group. For the $50 TLC or Performing Arts Camp scholarship tell two groups.
Step 4 - Complete the camp assistance/scholarship application form with all signatures and submit to the SD 4-H Leaders. You will receive your scholarship money within 2 weeks of its receipt.
Exhibit Hall Fundraising
Kudos to so many of you for a tremendous job at fundraising, donations and support of the new Exhibit Hall! How wonderful it was to use the building this year during the SD State Fair!
Currently, our new overall State Fair Foundation campaign total is over $4.37 million towards the $4.7 million goal! We encourage you to continue your efforts, and if you have not made a commitment, respectfully ask that you work towards that.
Here is more information:
SD 4-H is on Facebook!!
Click here to find SD 4-H on Facebook and find the latest information revolving around 4-H activities in SD.
Click here to find SD 4-H Leaders Association on Facebook!
Rural Youth Loan Program
Here is information about the Rural Youth Loan Program available to 4-H members. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) makes operating loans of up to $5,000 to eligible individual rural youths age 10 through 20 to finance income-producing, agriculture-related projects. The project must be of modest size, educational, and initiated, developed and carried out by rural youths participating in 4-H clubs, FFA, or a similar organization. For more information, leaders should contact their local FSA Office or visit http://www.fsa.usda.gov.
A one page fact sheet is available at: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/loanyouth.pdf.
Farm Credit has a similar program available for youth loans! You will find information on their website http://www.myaglender.com/youth-loans_5152_ct.aspx.
Visitors to 4-H Leaders Page: